Beyond Asset Transfer Report Launch
Date / 1st July 2021
Time / 10.00am - 11.00am
Location / Online
Beyond Asset Transfer - Download Final Report
Beyond Asset Transfer - View Launch Event
REPORT LAUNCH: Beyond Asset Transfer: harnessing community asset transfer to create stronger local communities
We have the great pleasure to introduce our latest publication ‘Beyond Asset Transfer’ and hope you joined us for the online launch on Thursday 1st July 2021.
Effective use of community assets is critical to a well-functioning place and strong, resilient communities. But transferring assets to communities or not-for-profit organisations is not always easy, even when we know it is the right solution.
Our latest report – Beyond Asset Transfer – seeks to demystify the process and encourage more councils to be bold in their plans for community assets. The free webinar gives CCIN Members the chance to think through the opportunities around asset transfer in their area.
The webinar will covered:
- The benefits and challenges around transferring assets to community groups
- Good practice and learning from examples in Newcastle and Cardiff
- What we know about the government’s new Community Ownership Fund and its potential to support local areas
- Cllr Sharon Taylor OBE – Chair of the Co-operative Councils’ Innovation Network
- Baroness Glenys Thornton – Shadow Lords Health Minister
- John Copps – Managing Consultant, Mutual Ventures
- Cllr Joyce McCarty – Chair of the CCIN’s Values & Principles Board and Cabinet Member for Inclusive Economy – Newcastle City Council
- Gray Hill – Director, Insole Trust Cardiff
Newcastle City Council was initially awarded funding to explore what works in community asset transfer, the factors that contribute to success, and how to overcome common barriers.
As the project was being completed, the UK was hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our members and their partner community organisations found themselves at the centre of their local response. We secured the additional support of affiliate members Mutual Ventures and Bates Wells to help review the findings and to look at the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on community assets.
The launch was kindly hosted by Mutual Ventures.